You have made the decision to expand your knowledge and are going to pursue a degree in higher education. Congratulations!
Now it's time to consider which type of educational platform fits your lifestyle: traditional classroom or online. Here's some information on both options to help guide your decision in selecting an online or a traditional classroom degree program.
Physical Attendance Versus an Online Learning Environment
- The traditional classroom education experience requires you to attend classes in person and on campus—still the most common way of learning,
- Virtual learning environment are accessed via the Internet so you can participate from home with a flexible schedule. Online education platforms are increasingly becoming an appealing option for many students.
Before you choose, consider the benefits of each type and which best reflects your lifestyle.
Traditional Classroom Can Offer Extra Appeal to the Senses
A powerful advantage of traditional classroom learning is its multi-sensory appeal. You can listen to an instructor, participate in face-to-face group discussions, and ask questions along the way. If you struggle to focus, the exchange of dialogue that exists in a classroom setting can help you stay engaged and retain knowledge.
In addition, the sense of community and face-to-face interaction experienced in the classroom can help you build personal and professional relationships with peers and faculty. You may find the connections you make in class to be significant resources throughout your studies and later on in your career.
Online Programs Can Provide Greater Convenience in Comparison to a Traditional Classroom Schedule
- Traditional classroom education can be very structured, and requires the student to learn at a designated place and time. For some, this structure keeps them on track. But for others, sticking to an organized agenda is difficult, especially if they are balancing work or family responsibilities on top of their studies.
- The convenience and flexibility of online learning enables you to study virtually any time, anywhere you have an Internet connection. It's an ideal solution for people with demanding work schedules or family obligations. A virtual learning environment is also great for students who prefer to learn at their own pace. In many situations, you can pause the content or go back to a portion to refresh your memory. This is incredibly helpful when you need to spend extra time on a challenging topic.
Online Flexibility Meets Personalized Interaction at Purdue Global
- Unlike traditional classroom environments, Purdue Global's online learning focuses on adding a human touch to the learning process. Opportunities for interaction with advisors, faculty, and other students—including within extra-curricular activity such as organizational clubs—are part of the Purdue Global experience.
- In addition, our convenient web-based academic programs allow you to focus your degree on your interests and plan class and study time to fit your unique schedule.
- Classes are not limited by geography, which enables the University to recruit leading educators and practicing business professionals from anywhere in the world. Most often than not, students are taught by professors who are working in their careers and have real-life experience to relay.
While an online education can be just as academically demanding as a traditional classroom, keep in mind that the flexibility of online education can be a challenge for people who struggle with self-discipline. If you are the type of person who thrives on deadlines and works best in an organized setting, you will need to work on these skills. Many times, academic advisors can help.
As you can see, there are advantages to both traditional and online degrees and education.
Only you can decide which model is best for you. Purdue Global offers both traditional and online platforms. Contact a Purdue Global advisor to further discuss the benefits of each.
Did you find this article interesting? If so, share it!
And if you are considering pursuing higher education we invite you to find out more about Purdue Global’s programs and explore our undergraduate and graduate degree offerings.