Master of Science in Education Overview
If you are already a P–12 teacher and want to enhance your knowledge and advance your career, Purdue Global offers a convenient, flexible solution for earning your master's degree in education online. This advanced teacher preparation program is designed for trained P–12 teachers with a consistent group of learners who want to improve their teaching skills, increase their professional marketability, and pursue career advancement in areas such as teacher leadership, professional development, or mentoring.*
See the University Catalog for policy and degree plan information specific to this program.
We offer three concentrations in the online master’s in education to help you achieve the academic competencies required in a specific area of teaching:
Note: At this time, residents of Kentucky may not enroll in this program.
- Teaching literacy and language: Develop skills for teaching basic reading and writing skills to elementary, middle, and high school students.
- Teaching students with special needs: Examine best practices and methods for adapting curricula to accommodate children with special needs.
- Educational leadership: Examine best practices for educational leadership in the areas of school finance and operations, curriculum development for school improvement, and supervision and staff development.
NBCT Status Can Save You Time and Money
If you received National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT) status through the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) prior to enrollment, you may receive transfer credit that can be applied toward the following courses:
In order to receive credit, you must request a letter of verification from NBPTS via their web form and attach the Articulation Partner Record Request Form (available from an Advisor) to the request. Verification from NBPTS must be received by Purdue Global’s Office of the Registrar by the end of the first term.
- ED502: Transforming Teaching Practice
- ED532: Curriculum Design
- ED562: Student Assessment