Master of Science in Nursing Overview
Nursing is undergoing a radical transformation, with advanced practice registered nurses taking on greater responsibilities across the health care industry. At Purdue Global, you can earn a valuable nursing credential online to help advance your career.*
Purdue Global's master's degree in nursing builds on your nursing education and practical experience, offering you leadership and independent practice opportunities. The degree plan includes specialized courses in organizational theory, health care finance, health policy, human resources, information technology, and health care systems.
Each option includes a guided practicum or clinical experience.
- Adult-gerontology acute care nurse practitioner: Provide direct care for acutely and critically ill patients. This population focus area also includes a 2.5-day in-person skills intensive.
- Adult-gerontology primary care nurse practitioner: Promote holistic health care to members of the adult and older adult population through assessment, diagnosis, and comprehensive treatment of chronic health problems.
- Executive leader: Focus on the principles of personnel management, policy development and implementation, budgeting, and the use of information technology.
- Family nurse practitioner, primary care: Promote holistic health care to adults and children in a family systems context through the assessment, diagnosis, and management of chronic health problems.
- Nurse educator: Focus on developing courses and programs that integrate nursing and educational philosophy.
See the University Catalog for policy and degree plan information specific to this program.
Note: Residents of TN may not enroll in this program. Residents of the following states may not enroll in the nurse practitioner population focus areas: AR, HI, LA, NJ, NY, ND, OR, TN, UT, WV. In addition, residents of KY may not enroll in the family nurse practitioner population focus area and residents of DC, GA, or WA may not enroll in the acute care adult-gerontology nurse practitioner population focus area. Residents of IL, IN, or WI may not enroll in the executive leader or nurse educator concentration.
Some pathways are not available to international students.