Learn more about the basic technology requirements to pursue your goal at Purdue Global. Accessing your online education is simple with technical support available 24/7.
Hardware Requirements for All Students
To enroll and participate in classes online, students must use a desktop computer or laptop (PC or Mac) with at least:
- CPU processor to support the Operating System (OS) and applications
- 8 GB of random-access memory (RAM)
- 120 GB of free hard-drive space (additional space may be needed for course-related files)
- Internal or external webcam with integrated microphone
- Audio output device to play sound
- Headset or earbuds with microphone (recommended)
Because online learning tools at Purdue Global are mobile responsive, students may use mobile devices such as tablets (e.g., iPad), mobile phones, and notebook computers (e.g., Chromebooks) to perform some academic activities and thereby supplement the use of a desktop computer or laptop. However, a desktop computer or laptop must remain your primary device for studies at Purdue Global.
Please note that to install and use mobile apps for your studies at Purdue Global, your mobile device must meet the apps’ hardware, storage, and data requirements. Data rates may apply; check with your mobile service provider.
Students should have a high-speed internet connection with a minimum bandwidth of 8 Mbps upload/download speed.
See Notes and Conditions below for imporant information.
Additional Technology Requirements for Courses
Along with the Technology Requirements listed on this page, all students should review and be aware of any additional software and hardware requirements for their classes prior to enrollment.
Software Requirements for All Students
Please see the below software requirements for online classes:
|Microsoft||Windows 10 (version (21H2)||Windows 8.1|
|Apple||macOS 11 (Big Sur)||macOS 10.14 (Mojave)|
Microsoft discontinued extended support of Windows 8.1 on January 10, 2023.
Note: Enrolled students at Purdue Global can download Windows 10 Education from the OnTheHub software store found on the Student Store and Discounts page in Purdue Global Campus.
Release candidate versions are not supported. Local administrative privileges to the operating system may be required.
|Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based)||Latest||85 (released August 2020)|
Tablet and Mobile Support
|Device||Operating System||Browser||Supported Browser Version(s)|
|Apple||(OS) iOS® Version 12.5.4||Safari, Chrome||The latest minor or point release of the most recent two major versions of iOS. Examples: iOS 10.3.2 is supported but not 10.2.1. iOS 9.3.5 is also supported but not 9.0.2.|
|Windows||Windows 10||Chrome, Firefox, Edge||Latest of all browsers, except for Microsoft Internet Explorer (not supported) and Firefox ESR|
All enrolled students are provisioned their own Google account that includes access to Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Meet, and Calendar. The Gmail account is used for all email, chat, and web meetings among students and instructors. Students may use the other tools found in the Google account to support class-related collaboration.
Students access their Gmail account from the Purdue Global Campus homepage and retain access to their provisioned Google account for up to 1 year after they graduate or become inactive. Review the Purdue Global Student Google Account Closure FAQs.
|Google Chrome||Supports all Google Workspace features and functionality.|
|Mozilla Firefox||Works well with Google Workspace, but does not support offline access to Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, or Slides.|
|Apple Safari and Microsoft Edge||Works well with Google Workspace, but does not support:
All students are required to have Microsoft Office 2013 or a more recent version such as Microsoft Office 365, which is available as a free, renewable subscription to active, enrolled students at Purdue Global. Students can access Microsoft Office 365 from the OnTheHub software store found on the Student Store & Discounts page in Purdue Global Campus.
Note that students who are purchasing Microsoft Office for the first time may need to purchase Office 2019, in which case they may also need to purchase an upgrade for their operating system. As with their provisioned Google account, students retain access to their Microsoft Office 365 subscription for up to 1 year after they graduate or become inactive.
|Microsoft Office||2019 or 365||2013|
A current version of the following software:
|Adobe Acrobat Reader||Free Download|
|Oracle Java||Free Download|
See Notes and Conditions below for important information.
Purdue Global Student Account Closure FAQs
- Why is my student Google account going to be closed?
Purdue Global’s policy is to close the student Google accounts issued to students who have not been enrolled with Purdue Global for more than 1 year.
- Shouldn't I be able to use my student Google account as an alumnus of Purdue Global?
You were provisioned a student Google account when you were enrolled at Purdue Global as a means to email, chat, and video conference as well as to create, manage, and share files with your instructors and classmates in support of your studies. All other correspondence with you as an enrolled student was done using your personal email address on file. That is still the case now that you are an alumnus and have ended your studies.
- Didn’t I purchase indefinite use of my student Google account when I paid tuition for my program at Purdue Global?
No. Tuition paid to Purdue Global covers the provisioning of the student Google account for your use while you are enrolled in your academic program and for 1 year thereafter.
- Are there exceptions to the closure of my student Google account?
If you remain unenrolled with Purdue Global for 1 year, there are no exceptions.
- What happens to my student Google account if I re-enroll within 1 year?
If you re-enroll with Purdue Global within 1 year, your student Google account will remain open.
- What happens to my student Google account if I re-enroll after 1 year?
If you re-enroll with Purdue Global after 1 year, you will be provisioned a new student Gmail account.
- What if I have emails in the account that I want to save?
Review the emails in your student Gmail account inbox. If there are any you would like to save, forward them to a different active email account of yours.
- What if I have files in the account that I want to save?
If there are any files you would like to save, you can download and save Google files as other file types such as Word documents, PDF files, and PowerPoint slides. Review the Create, View, or Download a File Google Drive Help Center page.
Note: Because your student Gmail account is a designated Gmail school account, you can only share Google files in the account’s Google drive (e.g., Google docs and sheets) with other active Purdue Global student Gmail accounts. You cannot share them with any personal Gmail accounts of yours. More information is found in the Google Drive Help.
- What if I am using the student Gmail address in accounts for other products or services?
Please be sure to change that email address to a different one of yours. Once your student Gmail account is closed, you will no longer be able to access it, which could prevent you from managing those accounts. Example: password reset emails for those online products or services sent to your student Gmail address.
- What if I am using my student Gmail address for my YouTube channel?
If you are using your Purdue Global student Gmail account as the owner, give your personal email account access to it to continue accessing and managing it once your student Gmail account is closed. More information is found in the YouTube Help Site. You can also download any videos you wish to keep.
- What if I still want to access my digital books through VitalSource?
If you participated in one or more courses at Purdue Global using digital books through VitalSource and would like to retain access to those resources for the remainder of the allowed 4-year period, we recommend that you do the following:
- Sign in to your VitalSource account either via the web-based link or the mobile app (if you installed it) using your Purdue Global student Gmail address and password. You can reset your password if you need to.
- Once you have signed in, click on More Options, then My Account to reach your Profile. In your Profile, replace your Purdue Global student Gmail address with your personal email address.
- Thereafter, sign in to your VitalSource account using your personal email address that you entered.
- What if I used the Parchment system to order my official transcript from Purdue Global?
We recommend that you do the following:
- Sign in to Purdue Global Campus using your Purdue Global Campus username. On the sign-in page, you can retrieve your username and reset your password if you need to.
- Once you have signed in to Purdue Global Campus, click on the University Info tab, then Office of the Registrar.
- Scroll down the page to the Order Official Transcripts section and click on Parchment Exchange.
- On the Parchment website, select Profile, then Account Settings.
- In the Email Address field, replace your Purdue Global student Gmail address with your personal email address.
- With that change, all email notifications related to any orders you place for your Purdue Global official transcript(s) will go to your personal email address you entered.
- What if I need assistance with any of the actions above?
Please contact Support and Solutions at 866-522-7747.
Your Path to Success Begins Here
Connect with an Advisor to explore program requirements, curriculum, credit for prior learning process, and financial aid options.
Hardware and Software Requirements: Students must be able to run, install, and configure programs and be able to store and retrieve documents and files on their computer.
Technical Support for Microphones and Webcams: Purdue Global's Support and Solutions Team is not available to offer guidance or technical support concerning the use of microphones or webcams. Students should understand how to operate the built-in features and/or external equipment prior to using them in the classroom environment.
Software Support: Please note: newly released versions of software may not be immediately supported.