Frequently Asked Questions About Financial Aid

Here you will find some answers to commonly asked questions about financial aid. Should you have any additional questions please contact the Financial Aid Office at 866-458-2008 (Toll Free).

Important federal student aid information is also accessible on the U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid website.

View the Military Shopping Sheet FAQs.

  • Purdue Global school codes are as follows:

    • Online Students: 004586 (Indianapolis)
    • Augusta Location: 004586
    • Cedar Falls Location: E00920
    • Cedar Rapids Location: 004220
    • Davenport Location: 004586
    • Des Moines Location: E00925
    • Hagerstown Location: 007946
    • Indianapolis Location: 00458600
    • Lewiston Location: E01190
    • Lincoln Location: 004721
    • Mason City Location: E00926
    • Milwaukee Location: 00458600
    • Omaha Location: 008491
    • Rockville Location: 00458600
    • St. Louis Location: 00458600
  • Purdue Global offers a tuition reduction on all degree programs for active-duty military personnel. See Military Benefits and Financial Aid.

  • Courses vary in the amount of quarter credit hours they are worth. For undergraduate programs, the total credit hours of the courses in which you are enrolled must equal or exceed 6 quarter credit hours per term to be eligible to receive financial aid. For graduate programs on a 10-week schedule, the total credit hours must equal or exceed 4 quarter credit hours to be eligible. If you are enrolled in a graduate program on a 6-week schedule, the total must equal or exceed 2 quarter credit hours.

  • Your eligibility for private loans and insurance will be determined independently by the company in question. Many insurance agencies will require students to be enrolled "full time" in order to qualify for full coverage, but you should contact the appropriate provider to ensure that you understand how your status at Purdue Global will affect your eligibility.

    Please note that full-time status at Purdue Global requires enrollment in 12 quarter credit hours per term for undergraduate students, 8 quarter credit hours per term for graduate students enrolled in programs on a 10-week schedule, and 4 quarter credit hours for graduate students enrolled in programs on a 6-week schedule.

  • You should think about a number of things. First, to be eligible for financial aid, you must have at least half-time status (enrollment in 6 quarter credit hours for undergraduate students, 4 quarter credit hours for graduate students enrolled in programs on a 10-week schedule, and 2 quarter credit hours for graduate students enrolled in programs on a 6-week schedule) for a given term.

    Some loan and insurance companies require that their customers who are college students be enrolled as full-time students to qualify for assistance (at Purdue Global this means enrollment in 12 quarter credit hours for undergraduate students, 8 quarter credit hours for graduate students enrolled in programs on a 10-week schedule, and 4 quarter credit hours for graduate students enrolled in programs on a 6-week schedule).

    Therefore, if these are important to you, you should consider taking enough courses to meet the requirements. On the other hand, please keep in mind that the more courses you take in a term, the more coursework you will need to complete. Be honest with yourself. Think about the course load you can handle to achieve the high academic standards you set for yourself. If you are unsure of how many courses to take per term, discuss it with your Student Advisor.

Unusual Enrollment History FAQs for Students

Beginning with the 2013–2014 award year, the U.S. Department of Education has added Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) Flags to some Student Aid Reports (SARs). Please see below for frequently asked questions.

  • The purpose of the UEH flags is to identify students with unusual enrollment histories who may have received Pell Grant funds at numerous institutions within a short timeframe.

    A conflict code (C-Code) of 359 (UEH Flag 2) or 360 (UEH Flag 3) will show up on a student’s SAR if the U.S. Department of Education believes the student has an unusual enrollment history. If the conflict code 359 or 360 is reflected on your SAR, Federal Title IV Student Aid cannot be disbursed until it is resolved.

  • Once Purdue Global has identified that you have a conflict code of 359 (UEH Flag 2) or 360 (UEH Flag 3) on your SAR, the school is required to review your complete enrollment history for any school attended for the last four award years (ex: the 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, and 2017-2018 award years would be reviewed).

  • The documents that are requested from you will vary depending on your reason for not earning academic credit during the specified timeframe that the Pell Grant was received. Examples of additional documents may include a doctor’s note or hospital bill if you were ill, confirmation of change of address if you had to relocate, proof of unemployment if you became unemployed, a death certificate if there was a death in the family, or a military order if you had a military obligation.

  • Although you may have submitted transcripts to the Purdue Global Office of the Registrar, the Financial Aid Office may request additional transcripts or grade reports from you for each of your previously attended institutions. This is needed so we can determine whether or not academic credit was earned during the award year in which Pell Grant funds were disbursed.

  • You will be denied Title IV eligibility if you fail to submit documents requested by the Financial Aid Office or if there is reason to believe that you are attending the University for the sole purpose of obtaining federal Title IV funds. If your eligibility is denied, you will have an opportunity to question and appeal the decision by contacting the Financial Aid Office and submitting a UEH Appeal Form.

  • If you were previously denied eligibility as a result of your unusual enrollment history, you must meet Purdue Global's satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards in order to regain your Title IV eligibility. Students will be evaluated at the end of every term for satisfactory academic progress according to both a qualitative and quantitative standard. To review the SAP policy, please refer to the Purdue Global Catalog.

  • Information regarding Pell Grant funds can be found on the U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid page.

Increase/Decrease Award Request Form FAQs


Educational Expense Loan Application

Notice to Students 
As of November 16, 2012, you will no longer need to submit an Educational Expense Loan Application to receive excess funds. If you are receiving federal financial aid to pay for your education related costs you will automatically be eligible for the maximum aid for which you qualify. In some cases, depending on your particular financial situation, you may be automatically eligible for aid above the direct cost of your education (tuition, fees and other related charges). 

You should be cautious only to request the amount you need and not to over borrow. Over borrowing will result in increased debt and increased loan payments.   

This may result in you borrowing federal student loans above the direct cost (tuition, fees, and other related charges) of your education at the University. If you elect to receive that amount, when we apply your financial aid to your student account, we will refund any credit balance in the manner you have authorized on the Credit Balance Statement. Upon disbursement, any federal student loans returned to you can be used to repay other educational costs, or you may elect to repay part of your loans early. It will be your responsibility to repay these loans according to their terms and conditions on your promissory note. For more information regarding loan fees, loan limits, and repayment, please click here

If you wish to decline, cancel, or reduce the amount of your loans awarded, you must notify the Financial Aid Office by sending an email to At the time your student loans are disbursed, you will receive a notification from us when your loan funds are posted to your student account. You will also be provided an opportunity at that time to decline, cancel, or reduce your loan amount. 

Federal Stafford Loan Questions

See below for frequently asked questions about federal Stafford loans.

  • Federal Stafford Loans are fixed-rate educational loans sponsored by the federal government. Two types of federal Stafford Loans are available to undergraduate students: subsidized and unsubsidized. As of July 1, 2012, graduate students are only eligible for unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

  • Subsidized loans: the U.S. Department of Education pays the interest while you are enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher education.

    Unsubsidized loans: You are responsible for paying all interest that accrues after disbursement. You have the option of capitalizing the interest while in school and deferment periods or repaying the interest while in school on a quarterly basis.

  • Federal Stafford Loans carry a net origination fee. The fees apply to both subsidized and unsubsidized loans. This means you will not be receiving checks for the full loan amount. Vsit the U.S. Department of Education site for Stafford Loan and Plus Loan fees.

  • Effective July 1, 2018, the interest rates for Direct Loans disbursed between July 1, 2018, and June 30, 2019, are fixed as follows:

    • 5.05% for Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans for undergraduate students;
    • 6.6% for Direct Unsubsidized Loans for graduate/professional students; and
    • 7.6% for parent and graduate Direct PLUS Loans.

    For the most up-to-date information regarding Federal Direct Student Loan interest rates, please visit the U.S. Department of Education.

  • The amount you may borrow is determined by several factors:

    • Grade level and year in school (undergraduate or graduate/first year, second year, etc.)
    • Classification: dependent or independent student
    • Cost of attendance
    • Other financial aid received

    Note: The expected family contribution (EFC) does not affect the federal Stafford loan amount a student may borrow; however, it may affect the classification of subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

    Annual Stafford Loan Limits

    • First-year student: $5,500 (dependent), $9,500 (independent)
    • Second-year student: $6,500 (dependent), $10,500 (independent)
    • Third- and fourth-year student: $7,500 (dependent), $12,500 (independent)
    • Graduate/professional: n/a (dependent); $20,500 (independent)

    Lifetime Stafford Loan Limits

    • Dependent undergraduate: $23,000 (subsidized), $31,000 (combined)
    • Independent undergraduate: $23,000 (subsidized), $57,500 (combined)
    • Graduate/professional: $65,500 (subsidized), $32,000 (combined)

    Note: Dependent undergraduate students whose legal guardians do not qualify for a Parent PLUS Loan may qualify for the same maximum amounts as independent students.

  • An independent student must meet one or more of the following criteria:

    • Be enrolled in a graduate or professional degree program
    • Be at least 24 years old by December 31 of award year
    • Be married
    • Have a legal dependent(s) other than a spouse
    • Be a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or currently in active duty
    • Be an orphan (because parents are deceased) or ward of the court, or a ward or dependent of the court until the age of 18
    • Have documented unusual circumstances and have been determined to be “independent” by the University’s Financial Aid Administrator

    If you do not meet one or more of the criteria above, then you are considered a dependent student.

  • You are able to track your total federal Stafford Loan indebtedness from all schools attended at Students are able to access details about each loan, including lender information. Please note you will need to have your U.S. Department of Education FSA ID.

  • You have a 6-month grace period from the day you graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time enrollment status.