Master of Science Degree in Management (MSM)
To be a successful leader in today's fast-paced business world, you need to be able to identify complex problems, implement solutions, and make sound decisions.* The curriculum for the Master of Science in Management program is designed to help you hone these valuable skills. If you already have a bachelor's degree and want to advance your existing career—or begin an exciting, new profession—this online master's in management can help you develop the knowledge and skills to succeed.†
This online master's degree in management program offers rigorous training to develop business insights relevant to a career in the field.
Highlights of the program include:
- Analyzing the theories and trends in leadership, organizational behavior, social responsibility, and the ethics of making strategic business decisions
- Developing critical skills required to be a successful change agent—as an employee or consultant—to create an organizational culture that supports business strategy
- Examining organizational finance practices and human resource management in today's dynamic and global marketplace
- Designing a capstone research project that integrates the theories explored in your online coursework with practical real-world application
The concentration in human resources is acknowledged by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
Master of Science in Management and Leadership Concentrations
Competition is keen for upper-level management positions in most industries. Specialized knowledge and expertise can help you land a highly coveted
- Health Care Management: Examine the role of management in improving the quality of health care services. Focus on the changing relationships among payers, providers, and suppliers, and the legal issues facing today's health care providers. Explore the marketing and strategy behind health care. Discover how to leverage information technology to gain a competitive advantage. Study to prepare for management positions in doctors' offices, medical and surgical hospitals, home health care, outpatient centers, and other health care services.
- Human Resources: Study human resources development (HRD) management processes from a strategic HR perspective. Analyze theories and practices as they relate to human and organizational development. Look at major internal and external factors that affect employee behavior. Define the evaluation methods used in HRD, while discussing organizational structure. Identify and describe basic workplace competencies.
- Information Technology: Prepare for management-level IT positions within service organizations, health care, military, government, or nonprofit settings. Study methods for finding innovative solutions to an ever-increasing array of IT challenges. Courses examine critical concepts and competencies for the IT professional, principles of information technology, systems
analysisand design, and the management of technology in a business environment.
- Leadership: Examine various leadership approaches and methodologies to help prepare you to manage in today’s business environment. Study how to effectively lead individuals and teams within diverse corporate environments. Discover coaching and mentoring techniques. Explore the four “i”s of transformational leadership—idealized influence, inspirational motivation, intellectual stimulation, and individualized consideration.
- Organizational Design and Development: While earning your MSM degree, explore the types of changes organizations experience as they grow, downsize, or relocate to accommodate dynamic market conditions. Discover how to align an organization's strategies, structures, and processes. Focus on total system change strategies,
problem solving, and organizational intervention. Study to prepare for careers in human resources and management analysis.
- Project Management: Focus on strategic project management with an emphasis on planning, executing, and managing a project. Use current software to better hit your project goals. Explore the principles, tools, and techniques for controlling project cost and
scheduling. Analyze project risk and quality, as well as legal and ethical considerations. Focus on ways to increase the bottom line for organizations in a variety of industries.
Purdue University Global business programs are accredited by ACBSP.
The human resources concentrations align with the Society for Human Resource Management's HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates.
Higher Education at the Highest Standards
Purdue University Global is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and committed to the highest standards. Our specific programs hold additional industry-relevant approvals and accreditations.
What are the Career Opportunities?
Earning your Master of Science in Management and Leadership degree online at Purdue Global may help you develop valuable skills that could be applied to a broad range of managerial and executive positions in virtually any field of endeavor.
Pursue business management and corporate leadership opportunities in the following areas†:
- Management of information systems
- Human resources
What Courses Will I Take?
The master's degree program is designed to help you develop leadership knowledge and skills that can be immediately applied to your professional life. You'll also have the opportunity to select one of the following concentrations based on your career goals:
- Health care management
- Human resources
- Information technology
- Organizational design and development
- Project management
- Core Credits40
- Elective Credits16
- Total Credits56
Tuition and Fees
Select Your Options
- Online, Rockville, Indiana, Missouri, Wisconsin
- Iowa, Nebraska
- Select One
- Active-Duty Military
- Military Veteran
- Military Spouse
- Indiana Residents
Online, Rockville, Indiana, Missouri, Wisconsin
number of credits
Tuition does not include University fees and associated program fees. View tuition and fee information or contact an Admissions Advisor for more information.
Indiana resident military veterans: tuition for online undergraduate degree and certificate programs is $220.00 per quarter credit hour.
Related News and Resources
Related News and Resources
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Access gainful employment information, including program length, tuition costs, financing options, and success rates.‡
Whether you are on your way up the corporate ladder or just getting started, our degree programs and certificates could help you prepare to take your career to a higher level.
*ONet OnLine, Summary Report for General and Operations Managers, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/summary/11-1021.00.
†Purdue Global cannot guarantee employment or career advancement.
‡Purdue University acquired Kaplan University in March 2018 and created Purdue University Global, which is following the same curriculum format and instructional delivery methods as developed and used by Kaplan University. These disclosures are based on Kaplan University data reported prior to the acquisition.