- Aviation Operations Management
- Advanced Aviation Meteorology
- Human Factors in Aviation
- Flight Instructor Lectures
- Multiengine Flight
Online Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight
- Focus on the core concepts and skills of aviation and the industry.
- Take convenient online courses in aviation and general education.
- Earn the aviation licenses and ratings you need to advance.
- Complete flight hours with an affiliated Part 141 instruction program, if needed.
We offer multiple start dates to give you flexibility in your education, life, and work schedules.
Overview of Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight
Are you ready to become a professional pilot or flight instructor? Take the first step and earn an online aviation degree at Purdue University Global.*
You’ll gain a broad perspective of the aviation industry from understanding your aircraft to managing aviation operations. All of your degree’s required courses in aviation and general education are 100% online, giving you flexibility to balance your studies and flight training with your life.
Designed by Purdue Aviation Experts
The bachelor’s degree plan of study, curriculum, and courses have been developed in collaboration with Purdue’s legendary School of Aviation and Transportation Technology, whose renowned alumni have been part of every major achievement in aviation and aeronautics for more than 100 years.
Flight Training Experience Options
If you’ve already earned your commercial pilot certificate with airplane single- and multiengine ratings and a flight instructor certificate, you’ll be awarded all 20 flight training and certification credits—saving you time and money.
If you haven’t earned these qualifications yet, you’ll need to complete a Part 141 flight instruction program at Sterling Flight Training in sunny Jacksonville, Florida. Flight practice begins in term 1 and you’ll be in the air several times a week learning from professionals with extensive industry experience.† You can train by day and study at night.
Sterling Flight Training offers furnished apartments near campus. Connect with an Advisor to learn more.
- Weekly rates start at just $200 including utilities and internet access.
- Enjoy a business center, 24/7 fitness center, and pool.
- Get to know your classmates and build a future pilot network.
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight, you will have earned industry certifications, including‡:
- Private Pilot Flight Certification
- Instrument Rating Certification
- Commercial Pilot Flight Certification
- Flight Instructor Flight Certification (CFI)
- Multiengine Flight Certification (ME)
Once you complete flight school training in term 8, you’ll be qualified to work as a flight instructor while still pursuing your goal to become a commercial pilot. Networking with aviation professionals along the way can help you achieve your career goals.
Job titles associated with the Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight include:
- Flight instructor
- Commercial pilot
Realizing Your Aviation Career Goals
Whatever your aviation experience level, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in professional flight at Purdue Global equips you for success with the knowledge, licenses, and ratings you need to compete for positions as a professional pilot or flight instructor.
- Core Credits45
- Major Credits105
- Training/Certification Credits20
- Elective Credits10
- Total Credits180
Ways to Save
Learn How to Apply For and Receive Financial Aid
Title IV federal financial aid is available for many of our degree programs. Get answers to common financial aid questions, learn about federal student aid, and get the facts about military Shopping Sheets.
Finish What You Started
Earn credit for prior coursework completed at eligible institutions, including community colleges.
Determine Your Eligibility for Federal Grants
Learn about federal financial grants and loan programs that may be available to Purdue Global students.
- Explore professional certification and career management as an aviation professional.
- Develop a broad-based knowledge of the aviation industry as an integrated transportation system.
- Use knowledge of aircraft performance and design, systems, operations, and maintenance to solve aviation problems.
- Use knowledge of aviation safety and human factors to safely operate aviation equipment.
- Analyze operations within the international airport, airspace, and air traffic management system.
- Examine national and international aviation law, regulation, and labor issues.
- Analyze meteorological and environmental issues.
- Explore a number of flight-related occupational areas within the aerospace industry
Communication skills: Learn how to speak clearly and effectively with air traffic controllers and crew members and how to listen carefully to instructions.
Observational skills: Practice maintaining situational awareness, identify distances between objects, discern colors, and monitor cockpit instruments.
Problem-solving skills: Learn to assess situations and find solutions for sudden in-flight changes or challenges, such as air traffic deviations or adverse weather.
Quick reaction skills: Develop rapid responses to a wide range of potential dangers in the air or on the ground, using sound judgment to take action.
*Students are required to submit a first-class medical clearance and proof of citizenship through Sterling Flight Training prior to enrollment at Purdue Global. International (non-U.S. citizen) students who wish to enroll must complete a TSA clearance check and obtain an M-1 Visa through Sterling Flight Training.
†Flight time and training are not eligible for federal financial aid and will be at your expense. Refer to the program’s tuition and fees for details.
‡Students are responsible for understanding the requirements of certification exams. The University cannot guarantee students will be eligible to sit for or pass exams. In some cases, work experience, additional coursework beyond the Purdue Global program, fieldwork, and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or to successfully pass the exams.