Online Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight
Program at a Glance
- Focus on the core concepts and skills of aviation and the industry.
- Take convenient online courses in aviation and general education.
- Earn the aviation licenses and ratings you need to advance.
- Complete flight hours with a Purdue Global-approved flight school, if needed.
We offer multiple start dates to give you flexibility in your education, life, and work schedules.
Overview of Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight
Are you ready to become a professional pilot or flight instructor? Take the first step and earn an online aviation degree at Purdue University Global.*
You’ll gain a broad perspective of the aviation industry from understanding your aircraft to managing aviation operations. All of your degree’s required courses in aviation and general education are 100% online, giving you flexibility to balance your studies and flight training with your life.
Designed by Purdue Aviation Experts
The bachelor’s degree plan of study, curriculum, and courses have been developed in collaboration with Purdue’s legendary School of Aviation and Transportation Technology, whose renowned alumni have been part of every major achievement in aviation and aeronautics for more than 100 years.
Flight Training Experience Options
If you’ve already earned your commercial pilot certificate with airplane single- and multiengine ratings and a flight instructor certificate, you’ll be awarded all 45 flight training and certification credits—saving you time and money.
If you haven’t earned these qualifications yet, you’ll need to enroll in a Purdue Global-approved flight school. Flight practice can begin immediately and you’ll be in the air several times a week learning from professionals with extensive industry experience.† You can train by day and study at night.
We have multiple flight affiliates for students to complete their flight hours and in-person training. Flight affiliates may have housing options for students.
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight, you will have earned industry certifications, including‡:
- Instrument Rating Certification
- Commercial Pilot Flight Certification
- Flight Instructor Flight Certification (CFI)
- Multiengine Flight Certification (ME)
You must be a high school graduate or possess a General Education Development (GED) certificate or other equivalency diploma. In addition, you must provide proof for evaluation and approval by the dean or designee of either: a minimum of a commercial pilot certificate with airplane single-engine and multiengine ratings and a flight instructor certificate, or completion of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirement for a Private Pilot Flight Certificate and acceptance and simultaneous enrollment at a Purdue-Global-approved affiliated Part 141 flight instruction program. Refer to the University Catalog for additional requirements or speak to an Advisor to learn more.
Once you complete flight school training in term 8, you’ll be qualified to work as a flight instructor while still pursuing your goal to become a commercial pilot. Networking with aviation professionals along the way can help you achieve your career goals.
Job titles associated with the Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight include:
- Flight instructor
- Commercial pilot
Realizing Your Aviation Career Goals
Whatever your aviation experience level, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in professional flight at Purdue Global equips you for success with the knowledge, licenses, and ratings you need to compete for positions as a professional pilot or flight instructor.
Ways to Save
Earn credit for prior coursework completed at eligible institutions, including community colleges.
Title IV federal financial aid is available for many of our degree programs.
Learn about federal financial grants and loan programs that may be available.
What Courses Will I Take?In the bachelor's degree in professional flight, you'll learn from experienced professionals who bring real-world knowledge to the courses they teach. See All Aviation Courses
- Aviation Operations Management
- Advanced Aviation Meteorology
- Human Factors in Aviation
- Flight Instructor Lectures
- Multiengine Flight
- Core Credits45
- Major Credits105
- Elective Credits10
- Training/Certification Credits20
- Total Credits180
Program Outcomes and Skills
- Disciplinary knowledge and skills: Discuss the major areas of professional flight, including but not limited to, the evolution of aircraft, commercial air transportation, airspace management, and regulatory oversight bodies.
- Publication and analysis: Synthesize current publications in aviation operations including, but not limited to, finance decisions, aircraft maintenance, and meteorology.
- Critical-thinking and problem-solving: Analyze principles, concepts, safety, and/or issues in aviation to work effectively in the field.
- Leadership and teamwork: Apply leadership and teamwork practices as they relate to the aviation industry nationally as well as internationally.
- Professionalism and ethics: Examine aviation as a profession including careers, certifications, professional ethical behavior, and communication.
- Communication skills: Learn how to speak clearly and effectively with air traffic controllers and crew members and how to listen carefully to instructions.
- Observational skills: Practice maintaining situational awareness, identify distances between objects, discern colors, and monitor cockpit instruments.
- Problem-solving skills: Learn to assess situations and find solutions for sudden in-flight changes or challenges, such as air traffic deviations or adverse weather.
- Quick reaction skills: Develop rapid responses to a wide range of potential dangers in the air or on the ground, using sound judgment to take action.
Purdue University Global Is Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission
The HLC (HLCommission.org) is an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Download our flyer to learn more about the Bachelor of Science in Professional Flight and the benefits of earning your degree at Purdue Global.
*Students are required to submit a first-class medical clearance and proof of citizenship through a Purdue Global flight training affiliate partner prior to enrollment at Purdue Global. International (non-U.S. citizen) students who wish to enroll must complete a TSA clearance check and obtain an M-1 Visa through Sterling Flight Training.
†Flight time and training are not eligible for federal financial aid and will be at your expense. Refer to the program’s tuition and fees for details.
‡Students are responsible for understanding the requirements of certification exams. The University cannot guarantee students will be eligible to sit for or pass exams. In some cases, work experience, additional coursework beyond the Purdue Global program, fieldwork, and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or to successfully pass the exams.