Review information for the December ceremony in Hagerstown, MD below. For additional questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
December 2, 2018
North Hagerstown High School
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue
Hagerstown, MD 21742
View the Maryland Graduation Event Guide with all the ceremony details.
Important Dates and Deadlines
October 19, 2018: Last day to register for the December 2 ceremony. Late registrations will not be accepted.
October 19, 2018: Last day to order caps and gowns without incurring fees. If you miss the deadline to order, contact Jostens at 800-854-7464 to see if they can provide a gown in time. Late orders are not guaranteed and may be subject to late or rush shipping fees.
October 29, 2018: Last day to cancel your attendance without incurring penalty fees. Email email@example.com to cancel.
Students are eligible to walk in the graduation ceremony if they have completed all graduation requirements prior to December 31, 2018. Students should contact the Office of Student Support to review their remaining credits and requirements in order to determine their degree completion date. Online students can reach Student Support at 866-522-7747. Regional location and Learning Center students should contact their academic team for assistance.
Important Graduation Information
Please see the important details below for the event schedule, ticket information, attire, and cancellation policy.
- Graduation Day Schedule–December 2, 2018
Maryland Morning Ceremony Schedule
Commencement for graduates in the Schools of Business and Information Technology, and Health Sciences
- 9:30 am: Graduate check-in for the morning ceremony, and family photos (optional)—high school gymnasium
- 10:00 am: Auditorium doors open for the morning ceremony, guest seating
- 11:00 am–1:00 pm: Morning ceremony
Maryland Afternoon Ceremony Schedule
Commencement for graduates in the School of Education, the School of Nursing, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Concord Law School.
- 1:30 pm: Graduate check-in for the afternoon ceremony, and family photos (optional)—high school gymnasium
- 2:00 pm: Auditorium doors open for the afternoon ceremony, guest seating
- 3:00 pm–5:00 pm: Afternoon ceremony
The Hagerstown location will host an open house from 12:00 to 2:00 pm ET on December 2, for all graduates and their families who would like to see a Purdue University Global location and take a tour of the facility. A Purdue Global sign that makes a great backdrop for photos is also available. The open house is located less than a half mile away from the graduation ceremony venue, North Hagerstown High School. The address of the open house is:
Purdue University Global
18618 Crestwood Drive
Hagerstown, MD 21742
Take the second school entrance located at the bottom of the hill on Crestwood Drive to park and enter the facility.
You must complete the following two steps to attend the Maryland Graduation:
STEP 1: Complete the online participation survey (available here August 15).
STEP 2: Order cap/gown/tassel with Jostens (order link will be available August 15).
Guests at Graduation
- Each graduate may bring up to 4 guests to the ceremony. Based on the number of graduates who attend, additional guest tickets may be available. If you would like to be placed in a lottery for two extra tickets, please note this when you register for the ceremony. Due to the capacity limits in the auditorium and fire code regulations, we are required to limit the number of tickets per graduate. Recipients of the extra ticket will be notified no later than October 2018. There are no guarantees that you will be a lottery winner and no graduate will receive more than 6 tickets total—NO EXCEPTIONS UNLESS WE HAVE EXTRA SEATS AVAILABLE AFTER THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE DATE.
- A live simulcast of the graduation ceremony will be streamed via Facebook in the cafeteria of North Hagerstown High School for any attendees who do not have a ticket for the auditorium. This livestream through Facebook will also be available for those who are unable to attend to view the graduation.
- Child Seating: If the child is large enough to need his or her own seat to be comfortable, they will require a ticket. If the child is sitting in an adult's lap, then they do not need a ticket.
All graduates must report to the gymnasium in North Hagerstown High School to check in and pick up their ceremony reader card and guest tickets. All graduates walking in the ceremony are required to have a reader card to cross the stage.
Graduation Ceremony Event Guide
The Graduation Ceremony Event Guide containing important ceremony details will be sent via email approximately 2 weeks prior to the ceremony.
The ceremony will stream live on the Maryland Facebook page for guests who are unable to attend or are unable to be seated in the auditorium. Non-Facebook users: Click here to access the Purdue University Global Facebook. The message "See more by logging in..." will appear. You will then have the option to 1) Log In, 2) Create New Account, or 3) Not Now. By selecting “Not Now,” the admin bar will drop to the lower part of the screen. Click on the page content you want to view and the page will open. You can access all data on the Purdue University Global Facebook page including videos, pictures, livestreams, and recent posts. When watching the ceremony video, users can select the double arrows in the lower right-hand corner to view it in full screen.
- Attire and Academic Honors
Attire—Caps and Gowns
Graduates are responsible for ordering their caps and gowns. Online ordering will be available from August 15 to October 19, through Jostens. Orders placed after October 19 are not guaranteed and may be subject to late and rush shipping fees. Tassels are included with all cap and gown packages, and hoods are included with the master’s- and doctorate-level packages. All caps and gowns are black.
All graduates and faculty will dress in traditional cap, gown, and tassel in accordance with their degree level. Tassels for master's, doctorate, and post-master’s certificate-level packages are black, and undergraduate tassels are color coded to match the area of study. For a full list of degrees and corresponding colors, please see the Cap and Gown page on the Graduation Center. When choosing attire to wear under your gown, remember that the gown falls mid-calf. Business or business casual clothing and comfortable shoes are recommended.
Associate's- and bachelor's-level graduates who complete their degrees with cumulative grade point averages (GPAs) of 3.70 or higher will achieve academic honors status. Certificate- and master's-level graduates are not eligible for academic honors. Academic honors statuses will be noted on diplomas and transcripts. Academic honors statuses will be noted in the Commencement Program based on the student’s GPA as of November 6, 2018.
The academic honors statuses are as follows:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.70–3.79: Cum Laude
- Cumulative GPA of 3.80–3.99: Magna Cum Laude
- Cumulative GPA of 4.0: Summa Cum Laude
Associate's- and bachelor's-level graduates attending the ceremony with final GPAs that qualify for academic honors will receive a cord at Graduate Check-In to wear at the ceremony. Because the honor cords are part of the academic regalia, only those in attendance who qualify for honors will receive these items at the ceremony.
Eligibility for academic honors is verified by the Office of the Registrar. For questions regarding your GPA and academic honor eligibility, please contact the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-522-7747 (Toll Free).
Honor Society Honors*
Graduates who are members of an honor society may wear their honor society regalia (cords, stoles, pins, etc.) at the ceremony. Members should contact their society’s chapter representative or visit the respective society’s website to order regalia items.
*Graduates must be existing honor society members prior to their final term.
- Cancellation Policy, Expenses, and Diploma Information
Ceremony cancellations must be received in writing at email@example.com no later than 5 weeks prior to the ceremony. An email will be sent by the Graduation Department within 5 business days of submission to confirm the cancellation has been processed. Cancellations received after the deadline will result in a nonrefundable fee of $125 charged to the graduating student's account. Please note: The cancellation fee also applies to graduates who are confirmed for the event but do not attend. All student accounts must have a zero balance before diplomas are released.
Graduation Ceremony Expenses
Purdue Global does not charge a fee to attend the graduation ceremony for students or their guests. However, students are responsible for purchasing their caps and gowns (see Attire section above), and for all expenses incurred for travel to and from the ceremony, including finding and securing their own hotel rooms. Click here for a list of discounted hotels and travel information.
Graduates will receive the following at the ceremony:
- Professional photos of graduates receiving their diploma cover on stage and family photos, available for purchase 2 to 3 weeks after the ceremony
- Access to recorded full ceremony and summary highlight videos
- Graduation tickets
- Diploma cover
- Graduation program
- Honor cords for those who qualify
- Military challenge coin for those who are active duty or veterans
- Access to Facebook livestream of both ceremonies
Diplomas are mailed by the Office of the Registrar approximately 8 weeks after completion of the final class and all program and financial requirements have been confirmed by University officials according to the University Catalog. Diplomas are not distributed at the graduation ceremony.