Alternative Pathways to Certification

Pursue certification in specific partner states through Purdue Global’s Classroom Pathways Bundle or the Education Career Alternatives Program Alliance (ECAP).

Classroom Pathways Bundle

The Classroom Pathways Bundle is a unique enrollment package for students interested in teacher’s certification in specific states. It consists of two separate and distinct programs: Purdue Global’s Master of Arts in Teaching noncertification track and the American Board’s Plus Program.

Students enrolled in the Classroom Pathways Bundle/American Board Plus Program will:    

  • Build a solid knowledge base of secondary teaching and learning principles and develop professional competencies required of beginning teachers by first completing the Master of Arts in Teaching, noncertification track.
  • Upon graduation, begin the American Board Plus Program and, once completed, have the opportunity to become a certified teacher in Arkansas, Florida, Idaho, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Utah.
  • After successfully completing the Plus Program and passing the American Board examinations, have the opportunity to seek licensure in their home state. Check the American Board website for more information.*

The American Board Plus Program does not include courses or student teaching. Rather, it is designed to help students prepare for and pass American Board examinations in fulfillment of state licensure requirements. As a Master of Arts in Teaching student, you'll also receive additional Professional Teaching Knowledge (PTK) resources, including workbooks and supplementary quiz banks.

American Board program resources and examination costs are included in the price of tuition for Purdue Global's Classroom Pathways Bundle and may be covered by financial aid for those who qualify.

Education Career Alternatives Program Alliance (ECAP)

For Master of Arts in Teaching noncertification track students who reside in Texas, the Education Career Alternatives Program (ECAP) offers a state-approved route to teacher certification at all levels.

Purdue Global's alliance with the ECAP also offers students in Texas special transfer credit opportunities to save time and money on their ECAP.

To learn more about ECAP, visit

Pursuing Other Alternative Certification Routes

It is important to examine alternative teacher certification paths based on your state's licensure requirements. You can visit our interactive map and click on the state where you are interested in becoming a teacher for links to your state's certification requirements. We've also summarized some steps to help you identify suitable state alternative certification programs and requirements for certification.

Note: completion of Purdue Global’s Master of Arts in Teaching noncertification track is not required in order to pursue a state alternative teacher certification program.

Steps to Identifying Your State’s Alternative Certification Program Requirements

Contact your state’s alternative certification advisor.

To find your state’s alternative certification advisor, we recommend searching online for your state’s government or education site. You can also use our interactive map; click on the state where you would like to teach for a link to your state’s department of education.

Research a suitable alternative certification program.

Review the information from your state’s website or that you received from your state’s advisor. You should contact each state-approved program director and ask the director questions about admissions requirements, the length and cost of the program, course format (online or campus), time commitment, and location for onsite field experiences such as student teaching, paid internships, and practicums. Also, make sure you understand the course transfer and undergraduate transcript policies, and undergraduate GPA requirements.

Identify a suitable alternative certification program and enroll.

Once you fully understand your state’s requirements and have identified a program that meets your certification needs, you can proceed with the Master of Arts in Teaching enrollment process. If you need more information, you can reach one of our Admissions Advisors who can help.

State-by-State Teaching Requirements

Click Here

Edu_MAT Certification Banner 5


*Full licensure requirements vary from state to state and are subject to change; students must check with the American Board at for certification and state requirements. Prior to enrolling, students must confirm they are eligible for a state alternative certification program. Students are also encouraged to confirm costs, deadlines, additional fees, required approvals, residency, and continuing requirements with American Board.

Some states require teacher education programs to be accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) or Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). The University's Master of Arts in Teaching program is not NCATE or CAEP-accredited, nor is it state approved for teacher certification or endorsements of any kind. Accordingly, you should determine whether graduation from a NCATE or CAEP-accredited program is required in the state in which you intend to seek licensure.

The Master of Arts in Teaching program and curriculum are designed to provide candidates with the background and practical experience that meet nationally recognized standards for such a degree. However, individual state licensing requirements vary and are subject to change. Thus, the University makes no representations or warranties as to whether the program meets the specific licensing requirements for any individual state. Candidates enrolled in the noncertification track who are interested in state certification must independently research the licensing requirements in any states in which they intend to seek licensure.