FAQs for Alumni
On April 27, 2017, Purdue University announced its planned acquisition of Kaplan University. See the below FAQs that Kaplan University alumni may have.
- I am a recent Kaplan University graduate. Will I be a part of KU’s alumni network or will that be combined with Purdue’s? I’d love to keep in contact with fellow grads but also expand my network if the opportunity is available.
Kaplan University and Purdue Global graduates are invited to join Purdue's Alumni Association, which provides you with more opportunities to expand your professional networks. To learn more about the Purdue Alumni Association, visit purduealumni.org/PurdueGlobal.
- I want to order a new diploma with the Purdue Global name on it. Where do I go to do that?
Kaplan University students who graduated after April 27, 2017 may receive diplomas from Purdue University Global. Diploma requests can be submitted through this website and will include a $30 fee per copy. All students, regardless of when they graduated, may request an updated transcript using the existing Parchment transcript request process.
- Why was the name—Purdue University Global—chosen and what was the criteria for its selection?
The criteria were selecting a name that reflects Purdue’s mission, a name that is distinct from Purdue’s other campuses and a name that reflects the University’s affiliation with the Purdue University system. The name (and identity) needed to convey both the rigor and quality of the new institution while distinguishing itself from Purdue. Finally, the name needed to engage and connect with our stakeholders, especially prospective students and employers.
- I am not familiar with Purdue. What can you tell me about them? Where can I go to learn more?
Purdue University is a regionally accredited public university system in Indiana. With nearly 75,000 students, it is one of the largest and most respected university systems in the U.S. and includes four campuses. More information can be found at www.purdue.edu.
- Has the accreditation for Purdue University Global changed?
No. Purdue University Global and Purdue share the same regional accreditor, The Higher Learning Commission.
- Is Kaplan University closing? Will this impact the value of the degree I earned from KU?
Kaplan University is not closing. It is being acquired by Purdue – a transaction that we expect to be approved and completed (sometimes referred to, in legal parlance, as a transaction “closing”). This is a change in control, not a closure of the institution. The fact that Purdue University, one of the most prestigious schools in the country, decided to acquire Purdue Global speaks volumes about the quality and value of the education our students received and the degree they earned.
- I graduated from Kaplan University before April 27, 2017. Can I update my diploma with Purdue University Global?
No. We will not be issuing new diplomas to students who have already graduated from the University.
- What about on my resume? Should I change it from Kaplan University to Purdue University Global?
You may want to add to your resume that Kaplan University is now known as Purdue University Global.
- I'm a proud Kaplan University graduate. Can I still use this name on my resume?
Yes. You can also indicate on your resume that Kaplan University is now known as Purdue University Global. Either option is fine.
- Will KU provide alumni with any official transitional documents to accompany transcripts that will aid them in explaining the circumstances surrounding KU degrees to prospective employers and helping to maintain credibility?
Yes. A statement has been added to the transcript legend explaining the change of control to Purdue, as we have done in the past when Kaplan University acquired other institutions (e.g., Andover, Hamilton).
- What specific resources will be available to alumni during and after the acquisition?
The same resources available to alumni today will continue to be available to Kaplan University and Purdue University Global alumni during and after the completion of the transaction, including career services.