Computers play a crucial role in health care, especially in the growing field of health informatics, which relies on data to improve delivery of health care. However, when the immense capabilities of computers suddenly stop working, users require IT support to troubleshoot problems and keep systems up and running.
The Health Informatics + Google IT Support Certificate, a new program co-developed by Purdue Global and Google, is designed to introduce you to health information and informatics. This program combines a health informatics micro-credential with the Google IT Support Certificate. You will learn about computer hardware and software, computer networking, and the best ways to apply these skills and knowledge in a health care setting.
The program introduces you to the fundamentals of health care regulatory requirements about protected health information, enhances your understanding of various components of database management systems, and boosts your communication skills to better serve clients in the health care industry. The program also covers Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance issues, code of conduct policies, quality assurance practices in decision-making, and best practices for protecting sensitive health information.
The Benefits of the Health Informatics + Google IT Support Certificate Program
This program gives you the tools you’ll need to begin your career in IT support, with the additional foundation of health informatics, a fast-growing field.* You’ll learn about:
- Regulations that surround protected health information
- Roles and responsibilities of health information professionals
- Privacy rules in accessing and releasing health information, including authorization and password protection
- Components of a database management system for storing and retrieving health information
- Processes involved in developing a health information system
- Various components of the electronic medical record and the process in which information is exchanged among stakeholders
- Technologies pertinent to the management of health information
- Measurement of health care performance through the collection and analysis of key metrics
- Principles of quality assurance in health care
Health Informatics Job Titles and Responsibilities
The Health Informatics + Google IT Support Certificate program prepares you for an entry-level IT career within the health information field. Completing the program can lead to career opportunities as a computer user support specialist. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, these specialists provide technical assistance to computer users, answer questions or resolve computer problems for clients, and help with the use of computer hardware and software.
Other career outcomes include:
What’s Next With the Health Informatics + Google IT Support Certificate
This program can be a stepping stone to other career opportunities or additional certifications or degrees. For instance, someone who completes this program might start working in IT support in health care but could transfer their credits from this program and enroll in a bachelor’s in health information management program to expand their employment opportunities.
Job opportunities for Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management graduates may include:
- Clinical documentation specialist
- Compliance officer
- Health information quality auditor
- Health information technician
- Health services manager
- Medical biller
- Medical coder
- Medical records technician
- Patient information coordinator
- Privacy officer
Take the Next Step With the Health Informatics + Google IT Support Certificate
The unique combination of learning in this certificate program is designed to prepare you to thrive in your field of study and pursue IT support positions in health care.
Move your career forward with the Health Informatics + Google IT Support Certificate. Contact Purdue Global today for more information.